July 9, 2009

just realized it's been 2 YEARS...some thoughts looking back

two years (and a couple weeks ago) i started this blog. at the time i was pretending to be a minimalist and dressing myself in tons of white and nude and beige and black. i thought it was really cool for someone my age to be looking so austere. but then trends happened, new designers came along, and before i knew it, wearing simple clothing in black and white had become the norm. so i started wearing colors again, lots of them, and weird shapes, and clashing patterns........
i like to think that i have a consistent style that i can call my own but even over these two years i've changed a lot. the fact of the matter is that i'm only 22. i was a late bloomer to begin with so i've only been truly into fashion, in the weird way that i am now, for about 5 years max. and what i've realized is that i have a long way to go before i can say with any conviction what is truly "me". i need more time to watch how trends evolve, experience the highs and lows of shopping, and just absorb fashion in all its glory.
of course, i'll never be very trendy, doing what everyone else is doing hasn't been an option ever since i was a kid. but i'm no longer interested in being one thing and trying to stick to some strict formula. i want to keep my mind open to all sorts of fashion and ways of dressing.

8 comments:

Tavi said...

Exactly. I hate being asked "how would you describe your style?" because putting a label on it would probably block out dressing in other ways I also like. In pretty much anything-movies, books, clothes-it's good to keep an open mind...especially at an age where one is still figuring out what they like and their tastes change all the time.
Congrats on your anniversary, and thank you for being rad and posting about stuff no one else does.

Ally said...

I can totally relate to this post. I know personally that my 'style' is constantly changing and developing and while I hope there is some unifying thread I don't want to over-analyse what I wear or like because it is still very much about intuition and just seeing how I feel at any given moment. Congrats on 2 years, I love your blog, it is such a breath of fresh air.

Anonymous said...

gratulations :D two years! wow. from my very first and retrospectively stupid comment to actually meeting you :) keep it up!

t. said...

:)

i really like your blog because i never know what to expect... no strict formula! i'm sure that's what your style is like...

yui said...

thank you for the kind comments!

Unknown said...

I am a bit younger than you and I also consider myself a bit of a late bloomer. Whenever I thought about how I used to dress and all the different styles I've gone through I kind of feel like vomiting. But, your post has made me think differently about the clothing I've worn. You have given me a new perspective. Thanks. Oh, and I love your blog as well.

D. said...

i just love your blog. you are so honest and forward with what you like, don't like, see, experience. i can't tell you how much you've inspired me to be more true to myself, even if that changes.

ghaisani said...

I've been reading you blog for a year, and I must say, your blog inspires me in everyway :)