January 5, 2010

new year's unresolutions

i like realistic new years resolutions and all corniness aside, i think it's important to make the effort to be a better person, i think it makes a difference. but i still love these quotes


I think--I think--it is somehow very useful, and maybe even essential, for a fine artist to have to somehow make his peace on the canvas with all the things he cannot do. That is what attracts us to serious paintings, I think: that shortfall, which we might call "personality" or maybe even "pain".

Kurt Vonnegut, Bluebeard

If I listen to some utterly perfect performance of an utterly perfect piece while I'm driving, I might want to close my eyes and die right then and there. But listening to the D major, I feel the limits of what humans are capable of--that a certain type of perfection can only be realized through a limitless accumulation of the imperfect. And personally, I find that encouraging.

Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

3 comments:

Gabetdor said...

D major?
what kind of music is that?

yui said...

schubert's sonata in d major

Gabetdor said...

I'm already listenin' ;)