April 6, 2008

Some velvet morning when i'm straight


One of my favorite scenes in the amazing film Morvern Callar directed by Lynne Ramsay. It really captures the drama of listening to an amazing song in a mediocre setting don't you think...And the soundtrack (Some Velvet Morning by Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra) is truly truly killer. I think a large part of the reason why I love this movie so much is because throughout the story the main character played by Samantha Morton listens to a mixtape left to her by her dead boyfriend (a damn shame he killed himself considering he had such good taste). So basically the entire soundtrack is a dead kids' mixtape which makes the film all the more sad and bad and morbid/haunting/emotionally charged. I really recommend it.


1. I Want More - Can
2. Goon Gumpas - Aphex Twin
3. Everything You Is A Balloon - Boards Of Canada
4. Spoon - Can
5. Blue Milk - Stereolab (edit)
6. I'm Sticking With You - The Velvet Underground
7. You Can Fall - Broadcast
8. Gamelan Drumming
9. Cool In The Pool - Holger Czukay
10. Hold Of Death - Lee "Scratch" Perry
11. Some Velvet Morning - Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood
12. Japanese Cowboy - Ween
13. Fragrance - Holger Czukay
14. Nannou - Aphex Twin

And another scene...be warned it's slightly grotesque but the ever-genius director Lynne Ramsay makes it okay.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yessss this movie kills it. and seriously the Hazlewood + Sinatra song was like cinematic masterpiece.MY favorite part is when she is cutting him up and listening to VU on her headphones... oh wait, no shit! that's the video! You're awesome!

Anonymous said...

The movie scared me but the music in it was amazing. I just think I don't have the stomach for these types of movies.

-Zane of ontario honey