February 8, 2008

Queen of cutting edge

Maybe it's time I introduce a Japanese label. It's something I hardly ever do just because I'm exposed to domestic designers on a daily basis. And if truth be told, I much prefer the cleaner silhouettes of new york designers--I think they suit me and my attitude better. Having lived in Tokyo for over a decade, I am throughly weary of the kawaii-bizarre aesthetic we're well known for...
Anyway. I think it's safe to say that Nozomi Ishiguro is the queen of the latter--the current cutting edge of Japanese fashion. When I think of Fruits and Tune magazines, I immediately think of her trademark loud, crafty and voluminous style (it figures, she interned at Junya Watanabe and Tricot Comme des Garcons). She's big with the in-crowd but relatively unknown otherwise, and outside Japan I'm guessing hardly at all.

AW07


Her designs are intriguing in that they're cutsey and grotesque at the same time.

SS08


update: nozomi ishiguro is a MAN!! it's so funny because I always had this image of him being a female, because of his name. oops.

6 comments:

Fruchtzwerg said...

impressive! I like his work SS08!

mahret said...

WOW ♥
That's so japanese, that's so NICE!!!

Stephanie said...

These are incredible!

LYNN and HORST said...

nicht schlecht her specht!
the previous tees are nice too

Bobble Bee said...

her AW07 is spectacular

Unknown said...

Nozomi Ishiguro is a man. =。=